Reading Room: Foxall Portrait

In September 1889 a portrait of Henry Foxall was presented to Foundry by Mr. R. H. Willett, one of the trustees. It was a copy painted by C. Armor of the original portrait which was in the possession of descendants of Mr. Foxall.

Dr. George Elliott, pastor of Foundry, spoke that evening on Foundry and the War of 1812. When he concluded his remarks, Dr. Elliott removed the red satin drapery that had concealed the portrait which had been placed on an easel in the center of the pulpit platform. In front of the portrait there was a gas light and reflector. After the drapery had been removed, disclosing the portrait to the audience, the choir sang "Auld Lang Syne."

The portrait was accepted on behalf of the Board of Trustees by Mr. Edward Simpson. In his acceptance speech, Mr. Simpson said he had worshipped in the first chapel, a drawing of which was also on the platform.

The members of the Board of Trustees who had charge of the painting of the portrait were Edward F. Simpson, R. H. Willett, B. H. Stinemetz, E. F. Brooks and M. D. Peck. Mr. Willett paid for the portrait and presented it to the church.

At the conclusion of the exercises and singing of the doxology, the congregation surrounded the platform and took a good look at the "benign features" of Mr. Foxall. A number of descendants of Henry Foxall were present.

 

This article, originally titled "The Foxall Portrait is Presented to Foundry Church" is provided and used with permission from Papers of Homer Calkin, University of Iowa Libraries, Iowa City, Iowa.