Welcome. If you have been baptized, you’re already a member of the church. Being part of a particular United Methodist congregation means placing your name officially on its rolls. Foundry regularly offers Foundry Orientations that provide an introduction to Methodism and to the Foundry community. If you have not been baptized and are interested in this, we will be happy to help you arrange it.
Our hope for when you attend Foundry is that you will be welcomed and given the feeling that you belong, but not feel pressured to join a particular mission or help out with a church program. Many persons, especially those returning to church after a time away, appreciate the opportunity to “hide in the pews” for a bit. Although worship is the central focus of life at Foundry, really belonging to a church means getting involved at some level. Take your time, see what interests you, and join in when you are ready.
Why Join Foundry?
We often hear this question from regular attendees who may have been coming to Foundry faithfully for years, but never got around to officially joining our membership. We want everyone to be welcome – whether members, regular attendees or visitors – but we count on members to define and support who we are as a congregation.
The main reason for joining is to commit to be a witness for Christ and to demonstrate your commitment to the mission of the church. By becoming a member, you would join with other Foundry members in validating a ministry that is diverse, compassionate, spirit-filled, welcoming and affirming to all, including LGBT people.
The Top 10 Reasons to become a member are:
- Baptism – If you are not already baptized, becoming a member allows you to experience this special sacrament of Christian faith. If you are already baptized, membership reaffirms your baptism.
- Belonging – As a member, you feel a sense of belonging to a faith-filled community, a spiritual family where you are “at home.”
- Affirmation – There is something very affirming about the membership process. You learn about Methodism, about what our church stands for, about our history and our perspectives. Most of all, you learn that Foundry wants you!
- Discipleship – In many ways, Foundry works to support you in becoming a follower of Christ.
- Involvement – As we get to know you better, we assist our members in becoming involved in the community in the ways that are best for you.
- Service – You can participate more fully in the life of the church, lending your voice to our congregation and your service to our missions and ministries.
- Communication – With your contact information and your interests included in our database, we can more easily contact you about events, programs, and issues of interest to you.
- Connections – As a Foundry member, you meet new and interesting people and discover common connections for your personal and professional life.
- Visibility – Membership increases Foundry's voice within the United Methodist denomination to advocate for our vision of the inclusive, affirming church.
- It's easy! – New member orientation is just a single Sunday afternoon, and new members usually join the following Sunday.